Saturday, September 11, 2010

What's Black and White and Red All Over?

My chili that is.  When there is a chill in the air and the days start getting shorter, I like to have a "Soup Night".  I may make soup, stew or chili.  Since I am trying to go through the contents of my pantry and freezer, these are the things I had on hand.  Perfect for a pot of chili.


1 15oz. can black beans
1 15oz. can white beans  (I used Great Northern beans, but you could also use pinto beans).
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
1 6oz. can tomato paste
1 lb. hamburger, browned and drained
1 envelope Beefy Onion Lipton soup mix
1 14 oz. can stewed or diced tomatoes
1-2 cups water
3 Tsp. chili powder (approximate)

Brown ground beef and drain.  Put back in pot.  Drain beans and put in pot.  Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, (if using stewed tomatoes, you may need to drain juice in pot, then chop tomatoes to smaller pieces), tomato paste, and soup mix.  Add water to the consistency that you prefer.  Add chili powder to taste.  Heat to boiling.  Turn heat to low and let simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve with crackers, corn chips or cornbread.  I also like to add a dollop of sour cream and a little cheese to the top.  Or maybe some chopped onions or olives or some sliced avocados.  Let creativity and your palette be your guide.


This recipe is easy, peasy and most ingredients you may have on hand.  Hope you enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I printed it out...will be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad would make me a special bowl of chili when I was a little girl. I hate beans of any kind. So the first night I would get a bowl with no beans. The next night I would only dip my bread in it LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What daddy's won't do for their little girls.;-)

    ReplyDelete