Monday, December 5, 2011

Waving at Santa

My oldest brother Larry loves University of Michigan football, Tiger baseball, Red Wings hockey and almost every other sport. He loves to read about current events and politics. He also happens to be physically/mentally handicapped.

Not only does he love God, his country and the Wolverines, he also loves Santa. (Who doesn't?).  One tradition that he holds near and dear is to go to the local mall and wave at Santa.

Last Friday we boarded the bus and headed for our local mall.  After having lunch and shopping a bit, we decided it was time to roll past Santa and greet him with a wave.  Imagine our disappointment when Santa  was no where in sight. The sign indicated that he would be back in around five minutes. We thought we would shop a little bit more when down the corridor we spotted something in red.


It was Santa strolling toward us with one of his elves!


As he got closer, he noticed Larry and waved. :-) Of course Larry waved back.


Not only did Santa wave, but he came up to Larry and SHOOK HIS HAND! How cool is that?

What a thrill for my brother. He was speechless. I don't think he has washed that hand yet. ;-)

This is one of the many reasons why we love Santa. The fact that he took time out of his busy, busy schedule to make the day/month/year for someone like my brother gets two-thumbs-up in my book.

Here is hoping that everyone can have a special Santa in their life. :-)

Thanks for looking in!


12 comments:

  1. Now that is the Christmas spirit! how awesome for your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! What a great display of Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how awesome! I'm so touched by little things like that. Have a fabulous Monday. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great and so wonderful that you caught the moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! My niece is physically challenged and I love watching simple things that simply light up her day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww this brought a tear to my eye.
    Yeah for Santa.
    I love him too, he motioned me over to him a couple years ago, just to ask how I was and what I wanted for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a precious memory. This story was just such a blessing. I felt the joy you all must have experienced. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just a fantastic story. It made my day!
    Thumbs up for Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, this brought tears to my eyes. What a fantastic story! So exciting for your brother and I can only imagine how it felt to be there and see the look on his face in person! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam,

    I absolutely love the smile on your brother's face here and the fact that Santa got down on his level to greet him. There are times when we all need a Santa, but the most fun is B E I N G that Santa, looking for ways to serve others and touch lives is truly what Christmas is all about.

    Hug Larry for me and have the merriest Christmas together! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What.a. blessing!! The holidays are over now, but your DB's story with Santa just shows how we can all be a Santa year round by reaching out to others! Santa rocks in my book (like he needed another reason, lol)And you have the pics as a precious memory!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet sister you are! I love Santa too! TFS!

    ReplyDelete