Tuesday, January 19, 2010

52 Things We Love About Our Town, State and Country


This year, on this blog, I thought I would like to share what we love about our community, state and our country. It seems that we focus alot on what annoys us or how things can improve. But I think that if we look hard enough, we can find the good in things. So I asked my family to list some of their favorite things that they would like to share.

Our first one, on the suggestion of my son is Elevate Church. We started attending about a month or so ago, and when were leaving the first service, my son looked at me and said that he couldn't wait to come the following week. This, coming from a teenager, spoke volumes and I knew we were in the right place. Everyone is so welcoming, the pastor really captures your attention and the praise band rocks! They are on fire for the Lord and I love how they reach out to the community, especially in supporting various charities.

They like to call Elevate "the church for the unchurched". When we first walked in, people were at every door welcoming you, the pastors were right in the middle of the lobby introducing themselves and getting to know you and coffee, hot chocolate, donuts and other treats were there for our enjoyment before the service. I knew that this church rocked when I saw a basket of earplugs for people that thought the music would get too loud! They have a stack of bibles that they encourage people to take home and read. And before the service, on the sound system, you will here secular music by the likes of "Kings of Leon" and "R.E.M.". Who knew that we would be allowed to hear the music that you hear on your favorite rock station or ipod in church? And that you would be able to actually eat a donut and enjoy a good cup of java right in church? It may not be everyone's cup of tea (they have that too.;). But for someone seeking a place where you are accepted for what you are and want to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ, this is the place for you. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment